CALPIA recognizes the valuable skillsets and experiences that veterans possess and the benefits these bring to the workplace. As of December 31st, 2020, 4.5% of CALPIA’s workforce was veterans. Below are resources available for veterans to assist in the process of transitioning into the civilian workplace and navigating the state employment process.
State Benefits Available to Veterans
The State of California has a variety of benefits available to Veterans and those who are a spouse, widow or widower of a Veteran.
- Wounded Warrior Transitional Leave Act: This law grants eligible state officers or employees, hired on or after January 1, 2016, 96 hours of sick leave to be used for the treatment of a military service-connected disability.
- Military Caregiver Live: If you care for a family service member with a serious illness or injury received in the line of active duty, you’re entitled to 26 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave per year.
- Qualifying Exigency Leave: Eligible family members will be entitled to take up to 12 weeks of FMLA leave for “qualifying exigencies” arising out of a covered military member’s active-duty status, or call to active duty, in support of a contingency operation or deployment to a foreign country.
- Military Leave: The State offers various types of military leave and compensation options for those on active-duty orders in the Armed Forces, National Guard, or Naval Militia.
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA): USERRA is a federal statute that protects servicemembers’ and veterans’ civilian employment rights. Among other things, under certain conditions, USERRA requires employers to put individuals back to work in their civilian jobs after military service.
- CalPERS Retirement Service Credit: If you are a CalPERS member who served in the military prior to CalPERS membership, you may be able to purchase your active-duty service with the United States armed forces as:
- State & Schools Military Service Credit
- Public Agency Military Service Credit
- Veterans’ Preference: Veterans’ Preference can be applied to a veteran’s eligibility for qualifying open and open, non-promotional examinations. Veterans’ Preference is applied to qualifying Veterans who are successful in an examination. All individuals who achieve a passing score on an entrance examination shall be certified in rank 1 of the eligibility list, regardless of score.
Veterans’ Preference Application Process
Military Occupations into CALPIA Careers
Below is a sample list of Military Occupations and the potential related State classifications with a similar skillset. This list is not exhaustive and CALPIA encourages you to utilize the Military Skills Translator.
|Accountant||Accountant I (Specialist)|
|Construction Engineering Supervisor||Construction Supervisor I (Correctional Facility)|
|Dental Laboratory Technician||Industrial Supervisor, Prison Industries (Dental Laboratory)|
|Information Systems Operator – Analyst||Information Technology Associate|
|Machinists||Industrial Supervisor, Prison Industries (Maintenance & Repair)|
|Marketing Officer||Staff Services Manager I|
|Operations Research, Personnel||Staff Services Analyst (General)|
|Personnel Programs Management Staff||Staff Services Manager I|
|Radio Operator – Maintainer||Product Engineering Technician, Prison Industries|
|Recruiter||Staff Services Analyst|
|Software Analyst||Information Technology Technician|
|Welders and Metal Workers||Industrial Supervisor, Prison Industries (Maintenance & Repair)|