skip to main content


California Prison Industry


Last updated: August 5, 2021

Hiring Process

How do I become a California Prison Industry Authority Employee?

  1. Search for Jobs on the CalCareers Website
    Go to and create a CalCareers account.
  2. Pass an Exam
    To determine whether you qualify for a specific job type, you must complete an examination for that job type (classification) to establish eligibility. If you pass an exam for a specific job type, you can apply for any job vacancy advertised under that classification
  3. Apply for Job Openings
    Search and apply for California Prison Industry Authority positions online using your CalCareers account. While online applications are highly recommended, you can also apply by submitting the Standard State Application (STD 678) and any other required documents by mail. All paper applications must be postmarked as instructed in the job bulletin.


How do I update my contact information?

  1. Once you have logged into your CalCareers profile, you will be navigated to your CalCareer Account within the Account Management section of the menu.
  2. Select the Edit Contact Information button.
  3. Within Contact Information, you are able to update your personal information, address, and associated phone numbers.
  4. After all changes have been made, select the Save Contact Information button.


How often are State employees paid?

  • Most State employees are paid monthly for the twelve pay periods in a year. Full-time and part-time employees are usually paid on the last day of the month, or on the first day of the next month. Intermittent employees are usually paid within ten working days after the end of the pay period.

How much will I make as a state employee?

  • Your salary depends on what position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. All positions have an associated Pay Scale. Unless special circumstances apply, most employees begin at the minimum salary of the pay range.


What is Tenure?

  • Tenure is status granted to an employee, usually after a probationary period, indicating that the position or employment is permanent. There are 4 types of Tenure:
    • Permanent: Permanent status is given to an employee who has lawfully retained in his or her position after the successful completion of the probationary period.
    • Limited Term: Limited Term (LT) appointments are distinguished from permanent and probationary appointments by the fact that they are made for a limited duration and do not confer civil service employment rights beyond the specified time period.
    • Temporary Authorizations: Temporary Authorizations are positions that are being temporarily filled.
    • Career Executive Assignments: Career Executive Assignments (CEAs) are high-level managerial positions primarily responsible for policy implementation and extensive participation in policy evolvement.
  • Benefits offered through the State of California are dependent on both tenure and time base and will vary based on the specific position.

What is Time base?

  • Time base is how often you will work on a yearly basis. This has been divided into four categories: Full Time, Part Time, Intermittent, and Retired Annuitant.
    • Full Time: A full time employee will work 40 hours a week, year-round.
    • Part Time: A part time employee can work year-round, however he or she will typically work less than 40 hours a week.
    • Intermittent: An intermittent employee is limited to a 1500 working hours per year maximum.
    • Retired Annuitant: A retired annuitant employee can work 960 hours a year max and often holds a consultant type role.
  • Benefits offered through the State of California are dependent on both tenure and time base and will vary based on the specific position.


What type of benefits will I receive as a state employee?

  • As a State employee, you will be eligible for a variety of benefits. These benefits range from employee pensions to health, dental, and vision plans. These benefits are dependent on the type of position you hold (permanent, temporary, full-time, intermittent). For more detailed information, visit our Benefits page.

Examination Process

How can I find out when certain exams will be posted?

  • Please refer to the Available Exams area on our home page. This will have links to all of the available exams. If you do not see the exam you are interested in listed, it is not available at this time. Please continue to check our website for updates.

How do I know what will be on the exam?

  • Read the exam bulletin section “Examination Information” for the type of test(s) given, (e.g., written, oral test/interview, training and experience), how each test will be weighted (e.g., pass/fail, percentage of final test score), and the scope of the exam, including knowledge, skills, and abilities, required to perform the job. Refer to the knowledge, skills, and abilities on the bulletin.

Where do I find the minimum qualification of a classification?

  1. Go to
  2. Click on the vacancy you are interested in.
  3. Within the Minimum Requirements section of the job posting, you will find the link to the Class Specification for the position.

How can I find out what my score/rank is on the exam?

  • “Log into your CalCareers Account, click on “My Account” then “Exam/Assessment Records”. Under the Active Eligibility, section you will see a list of all exams that you have completed. Click on any the applicable “List Code” to view your “List Rank” and “List Score”. Please allow up to three (3) business days for online examination/assessment results and six (6) to eight (8) weeks for in-person written examination/assessment results to appear.

Candidates with Disabilities

What programs are available for persons with disabilities?

  • If you are a person with a disability who (1) has a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that limits one or more major life activities; (2) has a record or history of such impairment or medical conditions, or; (3) is regarded as having such an impairment or medical condition, you may wish to participate in CalHR’s Limited Examination and Appointment Program (LEAP).

Application Process

How do I know you have received my application?

  1. Once you have logged into your CalCareers profile, navigate to Job Applications within the Jobs section of the menu.
  2. Within Job Applications, select the Submitted tab.
  3. In reviewing your applications, if your application appears as “Submitted” and you received a receipt upon submittal, our CALPIA team has received your application.
  4. If you mailed in your application for a position or exam, once your application has been uploaded to the position, your application status will appear as “Received”.

Do I have to be able to speak English to work for the state?

  • Yes, the State of California does not conduct examinations in any languages other than English. You must be able to read, write, and speak English to the extent necessary to perform the essential functions of the job. The test you take serves as a measure of your ability to do so.

Can I make changes to a submitted application?

  • No, once you have submitted your application package electronically, no changes can be made. Please contact us at ca*****@ca****.gov for additional questions.

Can I withdraw my application?

  • Please contact us at ca*****@ca****.gov in order to inform us that you no longer wish to be considered.

Should I attach my LEAP certificate to my application?

  • No, please do not attach or include any LEAP information with your application. Your LEAP certification is automatically attached to your CalCareers account.

Should I attach/include my examination results to my application?

  • No, please do not attach your exam results to your application. Our CALPIA staff will verify your individual eligibility as this information is attached to your CalCareers account.

Do I have to be a US Citizen to work for the state?

  • Generally, only a few State jobs (mostly peace officers) require U.S. citizenship. You must have the necessary work visas and meet all requirements set forth by the Immigration and Naturalization Service to be eligible to work in the United States.

Does CALPIA hire individuals who were once incarcerated?

  • Yes, individuals who have been incarcerated in the past are encouraged to search and apply for positions with CALPIA. CALPIA has hired a number of former incarcerated individuals with great success.If you are invited to an interview, you will be asked to complete a supplemental application which will ask you to disclose any convictions or prior records; this information will be used for a background check. It is important to be open and honest on the disclosure form. A conviction and/or prior record does not necessarily disqualify a candidate from consideration; each situation is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.An individual who was once incarcerated is unable to be employed at CDCR institutions they were incarcerated at in the past.

Can I use a college degree from a foreign country?